About The Department:
Civil engineering has the potential to build a strong economy and so more multinational companies and engineers are showing their interests to be involved with this industry Civil engineering industry focuses areas like soil mechanics, surveying and material sciences . Civil engineering specifically deals with the activities of designing and construction of structures like dams, bridges, canals, harbors, roads, tunnels, and water-supply systems, power plants, aircraft, water-treatment plants etc.
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the year 2009. The Department offers a four-year UG course leading to B.Tech and a PG course leading to Structural Engineering. Overall intake for B.Tech is 120 and for M.Tech (Structural engineering) is 24. The department organizes various seminars, workshops, industrial training to the students to create awareness on real time works. The department creates a platform for faculties and students to come together and think innovatively and move with their research.
The department vision is to impart technical knowledge and skills to furnace highly qualified engineers for the country.
1. Develop and transfer innovative applications of engineering, science and technology to improve civil engineering practice.
2. Develop Industry-Interaction for skill development and innovation.
3. Maintain an intellectually challenging and collaborative environment.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
At the department, post graduate or undergraduate students seeking a Bachelors or Masters degree from the Department of Civil Engineering are expected to have attained the following program educational objectives:
1. Identify, formulate, review, research and analyze complex Civil Engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions and to design structures that meets specific needs with consideration of Indian Standards.
2. Usage of Technology and latest trends in Civil Engineering methods to investigate complex solutions in the industry.
3. Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools related to Structures and Environment for complex Civil Engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
4. Ability to perform the engineering solutions based on the environment leading to sustainable development.
5. An ability to present themselves individually or in team by involving students to participate in multidisciplinary activities.
6. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these in the field, as a member and leader in a team, to monitor and manage Civil Engineering projects.
7. Recognize the need for, and engage in lifelong learning of new technology in civil engineering and constant up gradation of new technology and in advance materials which will enhance their growth.
Classrooms, these are the main places where effective learning is taught to the students. Students learn all the skills and theory that will lead them to gain innovative knowledge which helps them to solve problems in real time scenarios. We have equipped our classrooms with standard and the latest teaching techniques. The management provides all facilities and well qualified faculties in the classroom.
A civil engineer gets knowledge through practical education only. We make students understand this and the students become very keen on practical. They are guided by expert faculty and supportive staff in the laboratories for practical learning. Additional equipments are available in the campus to enhance research oriented works. There are ten labs established which are well equipped.
List of Laboratories:
1. Surveying lab
2. Strength of Materials Lab
3. AutoCAD Lab
4. Engineering Geology Lab
5. Geo -Technical Engineering Lab
6. Concrete Technology and Highway Materials Lab
7. Environmental Lab
8. Advanced Concrete Technology Lab
9. STAAD PRO Lab
10. Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery Lab
The departmental library has an enormous collection of books of over 150 volumes which serve various purposes such as fulfilling the academic curriculum and helping faculty and students for quick reference. A book bank section is maintained which is a collection of books donated by students and staff. All students are eligible to take the benefits of the Book bank. However, priority will be given to financially backwards students.The department library is enriched with copy of journals subscribed in the main library and post project reports.
Internet facilities for Staff & Students: - Available with 10mbps
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL:
Research is the backbone of academics and it transforms new ideas into innovations..It promotes research in emerging and challenging areas of civil engineering.
1. Creating a platform for faculties and students to come together and think innovatively and move with their research.
2. To encourage staff members and faculty to publish papers in National and International journals.
3. To assist for applying and getting funds to conduct seminars from funding agencies.
4. To work with various departments to establish and develop faculty research priorities on interdisciplinary areas.
5. To develop and coordinate strategies for maximizing the faculty’s success in gaining external research funding.
To encourage development of activities to attract the best research oriented higher degree students.
SKIILL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM:
The department organizes technical workshops in every semester to improve their industrial skills on emerging technologies in civil engineering. The department conducts technical symposiums and conferences providing a platform to publish and present their papers. The department conducts intra competitions between the students of all years on different topics related to civil engineering to improve their skills and develop interpersonal relations among the students.
ANTI RAGGING : An anti-ragging committee is established to make sure not to violate the dignity of the fellow students. Here we enlist the members of anti ragging committee in civil engineering department level:
Anti ragging committee members -
Sl.No Name Designation Email id Phone Number
1 Dr.Selin Ravi kumar HOD Selin.firstname.lastname@example.org +91-7904391217
2 Mr.Bikku Asst. professor email@example.com +91-8106163150
3 Mr.Anjaiah Asst. professor Pathri.firstname.lastname@example.org +91-9703871871
4 Rajesh Chary IV yr student email@example.com +91-9059630465
5 Sravanthi IV yr student Sravanthi0814@gmail.com+ +91-9701368995
6 Sateesh III yr student firstname.lastname@example.org +91-9502740349
7 Sirisha III yr student Sirishaa43@gmail.com +91-9701368995
8 Venkatesh II yr student Damsanivenkatesh67@gmail.com +91-7702025525
9 Prasanna II yr student Prasannaguguloth116@gmail.com +91-9701368995
WOMEN PROTECTION CELL:
Apart from College women protection cell, the department is having its women cell functioning in formal sense since 2014. The cell has been established in order to protect the women staff and students associated with the college from any sorts of injustice or sexual harassment of any nature directly and indirectly. With an aim of creating awareness of their rights and duties the cell organizes and participates in seminars, talks and also takes up women’s issues and problems. It also provides a platform for women to share their experiences and views regarding their status in the society and to suggest ways to improve and empower themselves. The women protection cell is constituted by selecting at least two member’s women staff.
• To promote a culture, respect and equality for women.
• To organize various types of programs for women to be financially, mentally and emotionally empowered so as to promote their growth as individuals in their own right.
• To create a sense of responsibility in the students and have healthy study and work culture in all schools of the College.
• To create awareness among students about the issues related to the youth, girls in particular.
Student can opt for higher studies after B.Tech in Civil Engineering and they have many options to choose .Many universities are offering students to pursue their education in India (Master of Technology) as well as Abroad (Master of Science) in various specializations.
The various specializations in M.Tech/M.S are
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Construction Management
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Environmental Engineering
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Geotechnical Engineering
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Water Resources Engineering
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Structural Engineering
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Transportation Engineering
M.Tech/M.S. in Civil Engineering - Highway Engineering
To pursue M.Tech the student need to qualify GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) to enter into IIT’s ,NIT’s and top universities or he has to qualify State level Examinations on Post Graduation for entering into regional colleges.To join in Master of Science he needs to attain good scores in GRE (Graduate Record Examination), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). College has MOU with learning curve agency to provide training for the students on GATE, GRE and IELTS.
They can also learn modern software courses like
*ETABS - It is an ultimate integrated software package for the structural analysis and design of buildings.
*PRIMAVERA - Primavera is enterprise project portfolio management software which includes project and product management, collaboration and control capabilities.
*STAAD PRO – It is a structural analysis and design computer program used extensively worldwide for various types of analysis.
*AUTOCAD - It is computer aided design and drafting software application used across wide range of fields such as by architects, engineers, graphic designers etc.,
*ARC-GIS - It is software for creating and using maps; compiling geographic data, analyzing mapped information.
*MICROSOFT PROJECTS – It is software used by project manager in developing a plan, assigning resources to tasks, tracking progress, managing the budget, and analyzing workloads.
SCOPE FOR JOBS:
A career after bachelors in civil engineering is highly rewarding and have lucrative jobs involved in both private and public limited projects all over the world .The Infrastructure and real estate companies are booming and requirement for the engineers have increased rapidly in the past decade .They even have opportunities in abroad too.Soon after the completion of Bachelors in Civil Engineering they can find employment in various projects.With the knowledge of modern tools of Civil Engineering such as AutoCAD, STAAD PRO, ETABS, RIVET, TopoCAD a graduate can enter into the field of Designing Career in Civil Engineering With the knowledge of Primavera and Microsoft Projects, the student can enter into a career of planning of construction activities. Planning engineers can find huge demand in construction industries.They can also choose their career as site engineers to work in construction field which includes all infra projects and can take challenges and enhance their self learning to improve their designations from bottom level to top level of the projects.The student/graduate can also have an option in teaching field after his completion of Masters and PhD.
The student/graduate can enter into Government sector for various jobs such as Junior Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Executive Engineer with an exam in different departments such as PWD,R&B,I&CADD etc. There is a scope for an individual to establish themselves as an Entrepreneur.
Students have been placed in various Civil related companies like Ultratech,Ramky,western constructions,Madhucon pvt ltd,AVconstructions ,Arch nova constructions, Sree venkateshwara builders.Students are also placed in various govt sectors as AE and AEEs.
For any elite institute, one of the major strengths is a strong alumni base.. The samskruti alumni committee strives to develop the connections among alumni, current students, faculty and management laying the platform for all to share the knowledge, gain focus, improve and develop. This is leveraged not only by the existing students, but also by the alumni who might want to contribute and give back to their alma mater. we organize alumni talks on regular basis with current students to bring industry perspective to their knowledge repository.
CURRICULAR AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:
1. In house and external training for the students to learn Surveying, AutoCad, Staad Pro designing, Quantity surveying etc..
2. Guiding and helping the students to participate in Conferences and symposium.
3. Establishing good interaction for the students with the industries.
4. Providing NPTEL class demonstrations and Digital library
5. Arranging industrial tours for the students to enhance their skill and knowledge
6. Allowing the students to participate in Inter college competitions Architects and engineers are among the most fortunate of men since they build their own monuments with public consent, public approval and often public money.– John Prebble.